January 27th is one of our favourite days of the year here at Discover Delicious. That’s right, it’s National Chocolate Cake Day – it doesn’t get much better than that!
Well in fact it does – even better news: there have been numerous studies over the years looking at the health benefits of chocolate. So to ease the guilt as you tuck in – did you know that chocolate….
- Could improve memory – a Nature Neuroscience study compared the effects of a high-cocoa drink to a low-cocoa, and found that the participants who had the high-level cocoa drinks scored better in the cognitive tests.
- Could be beneficial to cardiovascular health – Circulation conducted a study that showed cocoa could help widen blood vessels and increase blood flow.
- Could reduce blood pressure and the risk of stroke – this has been found in a number of studies.
Dark chocolate is the healthiest variety as it typically contains 70% cocoa solids and has very little sugar!
Also, did you know that…
- The largest box of chocolates ever made weighed 2,044kg and was created by Meiji Corporation in Japan in 2016. It measured a whopping 122.7cm x 241.5cm x 110cm!
- The tallest chocolate cake ever made was 33 metres tall and was made by Hakasima-Nilasain Culinary School and exhibited in Senayan City, Indonesia in December 2008.
- The largest Cupcake in the World weighed a massive 1,176.6kg and had a diameter of 56 inches! This was achieved by Georgetown Cupcake in the US.
- In celebration of its 100th birthday, Thorntons created the world’s largest chocolate bar, weighing a record breaking 5,792.50kg. That might be too much chocolate, even for us!
Fancy joining us in celebrating National Chocolate Cake Day? Here’s a super simple…
Discover Delicious Chocolate and Coffee Cake
Two tantalising, favourite flavours come together to make this mouthwatering dessert, the perfect end to any dinner.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 50 mins
We recommend using these products for extra flavour
Cariad Coffee – Masterblend Medium Roast
Sarah Bunton – Artisan Nut Bar in Dark Chocolate
Daioni – Milk
250g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
250g unsalted butter
1 tbsp good-quality instant coffee
150g self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
80g cocoa powder
500g caster sugar
4 free-range eggs
2 tbsp sunflower oil
150g plain flour
For your icing:
100g chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
50g unsalted butter
6 tbsp double cream
50g icing sugar
Preheat the oven to 170C/340F/Gas 3½. Grease a 24cm/10in diameter cake tin and line it with baking paper.
For your sponge, place the chocolate, butter and coffee into a bowl and melt over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bowl does not touch the water.
Once the ingredients have melted and are of a smooth consistency, remove from the heat and set aside.
Mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the middle.
Add the beaten eggs, oil and milk into the well and stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
Add the chocolate and butter mixture and stir to combine.
Pour into the prepared baking tin and cook for one hour or until firm.
Leave to cool completely before turning out of the tin.
For the icing, place all ingredients in a pan. Heat gently and stir until smooth.
Once everything has cooled, spread the icing over the cake using a palette knife.
Enjoy a Discover Delicious Twist
Adding a bar or (or two) of Sarah Bunton’s Fruit and Nut Artisan Bar in Dark Chocolate for that extra rich flavour and texture, a great added bite!