Bee Basics - The day will begin with a warm welcome and refreshments and the first half of the day will be based in the barn where we will go through all the basics to get you started. We will cover many topics including; What hive to get? Where to get the hive? Where to get the equipment and where to get the bees? We will also teach you all the management techniques you will need from swarming, feeding, producing honey and you're beekeeping year. Included in the workshop is a print-off of the training so you can refresh at a later date
Lunch - We’ll aim to break for lunch at around 1pm
Practical - the rest of the afternoon will be spent hands-on at the apiary, going through numerous beehives on the farm. This is where you build up your knowledge and confidence. We’ll guide you how to confidently work with the bees from opening the hive, to recognising the types of bees, explain what they’re doing in different parts of the hive.
Q&A - We'll finish the day with tea and cake and the opportunity to ask questions. It will be the ideal opportunity for you to share with us the challenges you've experienced and for us to provide practical solutions as well as looking in-depth at the pros and cons of various pieces of equipment available on the market.
- The beekeeping workshop will run from 10am until around 3.30pm and includes refreshments and lunch.
- We will provide bee suits and gloves.
- You can handle the bees as much or as little as you'd like
- Please check the weather for SA32 and dress appropriately. Bring a pair of wellies and please do not wear perfume or cologne!
- All delegates will be required to sign a declaration in order to partake in the day’s activities.
- Suitable for ages 16+
What happens next? All workshop confirmations and supporting information will be emailed to you, including a reminder the week before the workshop with details and directions to the farm.