Prep Time: 2 hours Cook Time: 30 mins Serves: 4 portions
Great British Menu Finalist and Head Chef and Owner of Heaney’s restaurant in Cardiff, Tommy, has created this incredibly indulgent dish exclusively for Discover Delicious. Using some of his favourite Welsh ingredients, Tommy has developed a real show stopping dish to impress your dinner guests with. Dine in style with this remarkable scallop recipe.
- 4 Hand-Dived Scallops
- 20ml Elderflower Vinegar
- 3 Green Apples
- Dyfi Distillery Hibernation Gin
- 125g Sugar
- 150ml Water
- 70g Glucose
- 450g Llaeth Y Llan Natural Yogurt
- 120g Calon Lan Horseradish Sauce
- 5g Halen Mon Seasalt
- 50g Picked Dill
- 75ml Blodyn Aur Rapeseed Oil
- Chives, to garnish
- Nasturtium, to garnish
- Picked Dill, to garnish
- The sorbet: Take a pan, heat your sugar, glucose, water and salt then remove from the heat. Add yogurt, horseradish and leave to infuse for half hour- once infused pass through a sieve and churn in an ice cream machine until needed.
- Apple and gin consommé: Juice the apples in a juicer and gently heat in a saucepan. You will notice brown foam forming on the top, remove from heat and pass through a muslin cloth and chill – you should have around 500ml of clear apple juice from fridge. The next part is down to you; I normally add about 50ml of gin but you can add as little or as much as you like to taste.
- The scallops: Remove the scallop from the shell (keeping the shell to serve) discard the skirt and the roe, wash and leave in the fridge until needed.
- The dill oil: Heat the oil to 80 degrees adding to a highspeed blender with 50g dill and a pinch of sea salt, turn on full power and leave for 5min. Pass through muslin cloth and chill.
- To serve: slice the scallop into three pieces, season with salt, dressing scallop generously with elderflower vinegar, place in scallop shell onto your plate of choice, add a teaspoon of horseradish sorbet, garnish with apple matchsticks, chives, picked nasturtium and picked dill.
- Generously pour the apple and gin consommé and finish with a few drops of dill oil- enjoy!!