Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 30 mins Serves: 6-8 people
This incredibly indulgent vegan chocolate cake recipe was developed exclusively for us by our friend and former Head Chef at Tide/Llanw at Halen Mon, Sam Lomas – with a little help from multi award-winning Welsh comedian, Kiri Pritchard-McLean. Using an array of delicious Welsh ingredients, this moreish chocolate cake is the perfect show stopper for any occasion.
- 220g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 70g Cocoa Powder
- 300g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 370ml Water
- 75g Blodyn Aur Rapeseed Oil
- 1 tsp of Cider Vinegar
- 60ml Water
- 75g Coconut Butter
- 50g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 150g Coco Pzazz Dark Chocolate
- 75g Toasted Hazelnuts, bashed
- Halen Môn Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 180°c. Line a 23cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk together the plain flour, bi-carb and cocoa powder.
- Boil the water in a small saucepan, add the brown sugar, rapeseed oil and cider vinegar. Allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk the liquid into the dry ingredients and continue whisking until there are no lumps remaining. Transfer to the cake tin and bake for around 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Whilst the cake is cooling prepare the icing. Melt the coconut butter, sugar and water in a pan until the mixture gently bubbles.
- Pour over the chocolate and stir until the mixture is glossy and smooth.
- Spread over the cake and sprinkle over the toasted hazelnuts, alongside a pinch of Halen Môn. Allow the icing to set for 30 minutes then enjoy.